Having a dog is equal parts love bombs or cuddles when least expected but also a responsibility to take care of your furry baby. Dogs are inquisitive and can often get wound up in adventures hurting themselves or fall sick at times. Knowing a few first aid tips can help you take action immediately before you take your vet to the doctor, and even save them.
- Recognizing if there is an emergency: The first important tip is to recognize if it is a common consequence or if there is an emergency. If you notice that there your dog is facing a kind of breathing difficulty. Having a fit or a seizure or watching your dog collapse is also a sign of an emergency. If they have vomiting or a condition of diarrhea, for over 24 hours, you need to consider it an emergency.
- Understanding your dog’s health history: Before knowing how to tackle unexpected situations, it is important to know the health history of your dog. If you have adopted your fur-friend, you can ask the previous owner or the organization you have adopted for. You can also go to a vet to understand the condition of your dog.
Apart from knowing the health status, you should observe the normal behavior of your dog, so you can notice any changes and identify the reason.
- Making your first aid kit: For both your family members and your pets, it is always a good idea to keep two first aid kits in handy. Make sure that you put all the required dog health and wellness products in it. Some of the common items you can keep are antiseptic towelettes and bandages to name a few. If your dog has specific health needs, you must ensure to keep those products as well.
- Checking for their pulse: You must make sure that you know how to check the pulse of your dog. It has been observed that the easiest way to find the pulse of your dog is by feeling the vein of their upper thigh. You should be able to feel the artery. In order to calculate the pulse, you should time the pulse for 15 minutes and multiply it by 4.
- For when your dog is choking: If you notice that after eating something or after walking around your dog is having trouble breathing and putting his paw in their mouth? It might be choking. While you must immediately go for help, if you notice your dog needs immediate assistance, you can follow the following steps. Press with pressure on their ribs. You can do this 3-4 times with your palms.
- Your dog consumed something toxic: This happens more commonly than other conditions that we have looked at. While you might buy only the best dog food for puppies, your dog might consume something toxic when strolling in the park. When this happens contact your veterinarian immediately, especially when your dog is experiencing seizures.
- Vomiting or Poisoning: Relating to the previous point, if your dog has consumed something toxic, if it is from a bottle, read the label and look at the ingredients. It is actually a good thing if they simply vomit out the substance. However, if they are vomiting more than a few times, please visit your vet immediately.
- Experiences seizures and fits: If your dog experiences regular seizures, there are certain ways you can provide them with first aid. Make sure that your dog is calm and holds a towel or a blanket around it for some time. You can also protect them and make them feel comfortable with cushions as well.
These are a few tips that you can keep in mind in case you have a dog, you might be required to use them!