For both humans and their fur buddies, nutrition plays a huge role in making sure that their day-to-day life is healthy. Even when finding the best dog food for puppies chances of making mistakes could be more especially when it is so hard to resist the puppy dog eyes? However, there are a few dog diet mistakes you might be making unknowingly.
- Constantly changing pet foods: There are a lot of options that are available when it comes to buying dog food. However, it does not mean that you should frequently change the pet food you buy. Make sure the dog food you buy suits your dog and its nutritional requirements, instead of simply buying the popular brands.
- Food ratio: Eating too much or eating too little cannot prove to be good for both humans and their pets. The portion sizes that might generally apply to your dog based on its age and body type can work, or you could consult your vet for the same. Do not indulge in free-feeding as well. This means that it would probably be a bad idea to indulge in making sure the bowl of your dog stays full at all times. This can result in the dog eating more than it requires to.
- Lifestage: Another common mistake that pet parents make is that they do not change the diet of their furry dogs with age. Their nutritional requirement will vary based on their age and change over time as well. This is why you need to keep their diets in check and feed them accordingly.
- Giving the human food: If you are a pet parent, you have encountered the powerful puppy eyes when you are having any kind of food, most pet parents (understandably so) cannot say no to those eyes and feed a “small” amount of the food the dog is not supposed to eat. This might result in them injecting something they are not supposed to if someone else tries to feed it on your behalf. Do not try to inculcate these habits.
- Storage of food: A mistake that is often overlooked is how you are storing the food. You need to regularly check the dates and buy dog food whenever required. It is important to not compromise on this aspect and think it will be okay. You must also store the food under the conditions that are mentioned behind the packet. You should also make sure the packet remains airtight.
- Overfeeding the dog treats: There is a wide range of options available in the category of treats when you are looking for the best dog food. They are tiny and can also really help you in training your dog. However, the common mistake made here is to overfeed your dog with treats. You might do it because it is a very good boy or you might do it because how many treats are too many, right? However, overfeeding could harm your dogs adversely.
- Not considering obesity: Obesity has been seen as an increasing problem in dogs and it is important that as a pet parent you do not ignore it. Whenever you are considering the diet of your pet, you need to make sure that you are not overfeeding them and helping them become healthier. Obesity could lead to serious health issues and is not just about gaining weight. Your pet should be provided with the nutrients but also their diet should be considered mindfully.
These are some of the pointers that you can keep in mind when you are feeding your dog. It is a good idea to make sure that your vet is aware of the diet as well.