Today we see the importance of looking after the health and wellness of your pet dogs, only increasing. Apart from focusing on the right kind of food and playtime, you might have heard about supplements for your dog. It is important to make sure that you are aware of these supplements before giving them to them. In this article, we will look into whether or not your dog needs supplements? Why are they important? Let us answer all these questions!
What is a supplement? These supplements for your dog that you might be looking at online might feel like they are everywhere. They are nutrient-rich in particular nutrients and can provide you with the extra-kick that your dog might need. They are mainly used to enhance the health and wellness of your pet. They can also be used for aspects such as improving mobility, allergy issues, behavioral problems to name a few.
Pet parents often worry if they are choosing the right food or even if they are required to be given supplements. You need to keep these aspects into consideration.
- Providing nutrition through food: Before you jump to giving your dog supplements, it is important to make sure that you provide them nutrition from food. Many foods are available in the market, it is important to make sure that as a pet parent you are looking at labels and identifying the needs of your pet. You need to get the best dog food. If you have a certain amount of knowledge about dog nutrition from the beginning, it can be a good idea to make sure you are feeding them the right thing. You can take notes from your veterinarian and come up with a healthy diet plan for your dog. Quality food in their bowls has a lot of importance.
- Specific reasons to give supplements: You might have adopted a dog that would have special needs or has some health issues. Supplements might be more than just giving them a healthy lifestyle as well. If your dog has special needs at an early age or even at an older age, you could also make sure to get advice from your veterinarian to be sure.
- Consider specific conditions: It is easy to often get lost in popularity when looking at various supplements. However, as mentioned above these supplements are meant to help you become fitter and get more vitamins. The lack of the same vitamins might vary based on your dog. Make sure you are aware of not only their health conditions but also their nutritional requirements.
- Immune system: Apart from providing nutrients, supplements can also help in building their immunity. Having a good immune system can help your dogs reduce the risks of heart diseases and other harmful diseases. Their body will automatically regulate their cells as well. Having supplements can also result in ensuring that their body is ready for an attack whenever needed, and your dog can avoid unnecessary health problems.
- Improving their skin and coat: Supplements provide them with nutrients, this, in turn, helps them to ensure that their skin and coat stay healthy. Like humans, your dogs need to get the right amount of nutrition for both healthy skin and fur.
- Cognitive development: While supplements are mostly seen to help improve the physical health of your pet, it is important to understand that they can help[ in the cognitive development of your dog as well. Some supplements include antioxidants and reduce the risks of cognitive dysfunction, especially in puppies. Vitamin E and C can also help in improving cognitive abilities. When your dogs receive mental stimulation from both supplements and outdoor activities, it can further provide them development.
These are some things you need to keep in mind when giving your dog supplements. Make sure your veterinarian is in the loop. When giving supplements ensure that you are clear about your goal in mind.