Your pets are your best friends. We are not asking you, because we know it is true. However, plans with your human friends can often get canceled, but that is not the case with pet buddies. If you want to travel with them, there are certain things that you have to keep in mind.
- Doing your research: Before you hop onto an impromptu trip, you have to make sure that you have done enough research about the place you are seeing and also regarding the transport you are going to take. Each of the flights has different routes and rules as well. Make sure you make a very comprehensive plan about the entire travel schedule before boarding any flight.
- Getting a health certificate: Whenever you take your dog to go traveling, make sure you get a health checkup from the vet and then also get a health certificate along with it. This certificate should show that they have taken all the required vaccination. You should also make sure that you read the specific guidelines if there are any.
- Booking nonstop flights: Why book a nonstop flight? The airports can be overstimulating for your dogs and can make them anxious. Direct flights are much more tolerable for your dog because they will not have to wait around the airports or change flights.
- When to fly: You might want to take a vacation when everyone else is like the holidays, however, that might be a wrong idea. During the holidays, everywhere there might be crowds which could trigger anxiety in you. It is much more ideal to travel during a time when you know the flights and hotels will be less crowded.
- When to feed your food: Even in humans, it is possible to get stomach issues when you eat before sitting on a plane. When you travel with a dog you should make sure that you do not feed them just before sitting on a plane. They could face stomach issues as well.
- Washroom struggles: While some airports and airlines might have the facility of washrooms in case your pet needs it, it is important to keep in mind that they might not. It is good to make sure your dog visits the loo before reaching the airport.
- Tagging: When you are out with your dog, you will probably walk around and travel. It is important to make sure their collar has a tracker if necessary. When roaming around in a new city it can be harder for your dog to reach back home. It is important to make sure that you can track them. You can get the dog travel accessories online.
- Do not stay unattended: Whenever you are staying unattended to your dog, and leaving them by themselves in the car, it can be harmful. Cars in warmer temperatures tend to heat up fast and your dog might end up getting a heatstroke. In order to avoid this altogether, you should make sure that you are with your pet.
- Providing entertainment: Pets can get bored of traveling around. Especially when the traveling time is a lot, it is a good idea to have some sort of entertainment for your pet before it gets cranky. You can also carry 2-3 types of toys such as chew toys or even comfort toys to reduce their anxiety if any.
These are few things you can keep in mind when planning to travel with your pet. As a pet parent try not to get frustrated if anything does not go the way you want it to. Make sure that you also enjoy the trip with your pet instead of merely getting tied up with the logistics!